Play and Pause

The inaugural era of the British Premier League season on began today on the NBC Sports networks.  The Peacock splurged millions to buy the bid away from ESPN and Fox.

I still managed to do what I traditionally do on Saturdays: Visiting and/or setting up a garage sale.  I dusted off this vintage Arsenal top, which was the first soccer jersey I ever bought. Got it from the 'Soccer Shop' in Naperville, Illinois and wore it the next day to my AP Social Studies class my junior year of high school.  It was the only AP class I had that semester, so the smart Indian kid was befuddled by my fashion sense. "Why are you wearing a JVC shirt?" he asked and chuckled.

A couple of months later I used our family's JVC 4-head VCR to produce my first video I directed and wrote, an end-of-term project for that class. Making those vids was the only thing I liked about being a student. For my efforts I was awarded with an in-school suspension by the school's draconian disciplinary unit, saying in a letter that I had used one of their VCR from the AV Office without permission. Admittedly I did use it to 'premiere' the rough cut to an audience of my peers.

Didn't know until today that JVC invented the VHS system, which became the North American standard over competitor SONY Betamax system, which was to be more prevalent in Europe. The Japanese company rolled out the first VCR onto the market on September 1976.

Five years later, they signed a shirt sponsorship with Arsenal Football Club -- which was a first for both JVC and the North London team. The partnership lasted 18 seasons, ending in 1999. It remains the longest deal ever for a Premiership club.

Before hitting the pavement on my way to school I hit play on that JVC almost every morning around 7am, just before heading out the door for the dreaded trek down my block to the bus stop.  I played a 30-second clip of a moving mundial montage with music.  I accidentally recorded it during a CNN show 'World Soccer Today.' There were no cell phones or portable digital devices to play it on back then, kids.